Sunday, October 11, 2009

Five Loaves, Two Fish

We read in the Old Testament about how Moses felt inadequate... “Who am I? I am slow of speech and tongue,” he said when God appointed him to go to Pharaoh and get his Israelites out of Egypt. (Exodus 3)

But the Lord said, “Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”

Yet Moses fearfully replied, “Please send someone else to do it.”

Ever felt this way?

Now let’s move to the New Testament… In John 6:9, a great crowd followed Jesus, eager for the wondrous healings and the teachings they had heard about. It was now late and they were all hungry, and Philip estimated it would take eight months’ wages to feed the whole crowd.

A young boy had five loaves and two fish. The meager supply seemed inadequate to feed the hungry crowd at hand, but the boy willingly gave what he had… and Jesus blessed it, fed 5,000 and even had leftovers!


Reflecting on these two stories, I surrendered. “Who am I to decide if God can use my unpolished skills, my limited supply?”

Dear Lord, even when I’m anxious, I will give you all my skills, abilities and passions. While they may not seem enough to me, they do to you, because you already know their full potential. Use them for your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment