Monday, February 22, 2010

Gulp... Giants!

Worry had sneaked up on me again and doubt became my companion. Whose voice was I listening to? Certainly not God's.

In Numbers 13, God told Moses to send 12 men into Canaan to see the promised land He would give them. One man from each tribe was chosen to join the expedition. They tromped along the river and up through the hill country, through fertile fields and vineyards, checking out all the land had to offer. At the end of 40 days, with a cluster of grapes so large it took two men to carry it, they returned to report on all they had seen: "The land is full of giants; they are powerful and strong."

Ten of the 12 were overcome with doubt, saying: "We can't attack those people; they are stronger than we are." And they spread among the Isrealites a bad report about the land. (Numbers 13:31-32 NIV)

But Joshua and Caleb insisted, "The land is flowing with milk and honey. Don't be afraid; God is with us."

Here is a decision point. Will I identify with the 10 who doubted or with the two who trusted? Whose voice do I choose to listen to? As I reflect on the "giants" in my own life, I will make my focus what God says He will do and not the size of the obstacle. Faith is living above the obstacles, not under them.

Abiding is staying connected to Him, trusting in Him, despite the odds. No matter how small I feel. He is big enough! I remember how, many times, God has answered my prayers, and shown Himself to be way bigger than I thought He was!

What "giants" are in your life? Are there things that seem too big -- even for God to resolve? Well... How BIG is our God, anyway?

Oh, Father God, You are above all and You know all. I choose to rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will fear no evil because You are with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment