Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Joyful in the Wait

When I read the book of Habakkuk recently, I realized what a man of faith he was. Though he heard earth-shattering news, he stood in awe of God and trusted Him to bring about His just and good plan. Habakkuk could be joyful in hope even when he only saw doom and gloom. (Read his short inspirational story.)

The prophet at first pleaded with the Lord, "Why aren't you doing something?" Then, when he realized that God had a plan and was working, he was humbled and awed. He was encouraged in the wait.

How I need to remember that in my life! When the waiting gets long, I will remember that one day "the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea." (2:14)

And even though I don't see things happening, I can know the Lord is at work. "Though the fig tree does not bud... the olive crop fails... there are no sheep in the pen... yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God, my Savior." (2:17-18)

God wants us to be joyful in the wait. That is the mark of our faith. "The righteous will live by his faith." (2:4) We all have things we are waiting for. The wait is what draws us close to God and we realize our dependence on Him. The waiting actually becomes a blessing.

If I live by faith, I am sure of what I hope for. When my desires are like God's, they are as good as done. They will surely come to pass -- but in God's time, not mine. I can live in faith and joy because God's plan is the best. He gives the ultimate. He won't settle for the lesser things for us -- His love is too great!

What are you "waiting" for? Can you have joy while you wait?

Oh Lord, thank you for your goodness, your graciousness, your love and mercy. Why does doubt ever even cross my mind? I will be strong and take heart as I wait for you, Lord!

The book of Habakkuk is a short little ancient book, but it answers some of the timeless and major questions of life.

1 comment:

  1. How timely this is. We have our little dog 2 1/2 years old in Appleton Hospital with White Dog Shaker Syndrome they think. We are waiting for more test results. We have 48 hours to see if the medication is working if not it could mean Catscan and spinal tap. Very expensive. I know she is only a dog but this is so hard.

    Thanks for your Abiding and I am waiting on God as he is my provider and helper.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete