Friday, September 30, 2016

Faith

Recently, I started wearing a bracelet with five simple letters...
F-A-I-T-H.

A performer I once heard thought of the word as an acronym for "Feel As If There's Hope."

When I mentioned that to Ted, he disagreed because faith is not a feeling. According to Hebrews 11, "faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."

After all, it was by faith Abel brought a better sacrifice, Noah built an ark, Moses' parents hid their baby from the king, Abraham took Isaac up the mountain, and Rahab welcomed the spies. By faith the people crossed the Red Sea on dry land, the army marched around Jericho until the walls fell, and Abraham and Sarah had a child in their old age. Examples abound in this chapter about how faith carried the believers through difficult and even unheard of things.

In the same way, my own faith has inspired and carried me through many difficult and amazing things. I can recall many situations that completely changed -- even overnight -- when I held onto my faith.

Paul says in a letter to the Corinthians that "we live by faith, not by sight" and "we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen." We may not see it, we may not feel it, and we may not even be able to put it into words, but when we have faith in God, the most incredible things can happen. Faith in God changes everything.

So, how would I define faith? My acronym would be this:

Find
Absolutely
Incredible
Transformational
Hope!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I definitely agree with Ted, because there is nothing "as if" about faith; as you quote from Hebrews, it is "confidence", because of knowing the faithfulness of the One we are putting our faith in.
    I'd even make the "find" in your suggestion stronger, to say "FAITH is Founded on Absolutely Incredible Transformational Hope"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's good! I like 'Founded' better!

    ReplyDelete