Thursday, May 6, 2010

Be Not Dismayed

After attending her grandfather’s funeral in Wisconsin, a young woman drove seven hours to return to her home in Iowa. I’m sure the trip seemed even longer this time, as she was alone in her grief.

The next night, she was working the late shift (alone again) at her job in a fast food restaurant, attending to the drive-thru window. Toward the end of the shift, a friendly young person came through the drive-thru and handed her an envelope, saying, “I’m supposed to give you this.” The young woman accepted it and set it aside because she was busy in her duties.

When she finished the orders and completed the closing process, she finally looked in the envelope. To her surprise, she found $25 and no explanation…just a magnet that contained a website address. A little research online told her this was a project of a church youth group. They were making sacrifices, pooling their savings and giving it out in $25 increments to people who they thought needed it.

She said, “I was so surprised. They probably thought I needed it because I’m working in fast-food… Mom, I didn’t even spend it yet! There are so many people more needy!”

As a mother, it warmed me knowing that God was reaching my dear daughter with a little TLC at a rough time, especially when I couldn’t be with her. And in spite of her own concerns, I was so pleased she thought of others more needy than herself. It reminded me of one of her favorite scriptures as a young teen:

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Is. 41:10 NIV

{Note: dismayed is defined as a sudden loss of courage, resolution or initiative from anxiety or fear; to become unnerved or deterred by arousing fear or apprehension.}

Dear friends, remember God has every means of sustaining you, whatever you’re going through, wherever you are. Won’t you cast your cares on Him?

Father, we are thankful that Your Word tells us to cast our cares on You and that You will sustain us; You will never let the righteous fall (Ps. 55:22 NIV). You also told us to come to You, all who are weary and burdened and that You would give us rest. (Matt 11:28 NIV) Help us to trust those wonderful promises so that we may love one another as You have loved us. (John 13:34 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment