Friday, August 19, 2016

Live Deeply

This morning I enjoyed some precious time soaking in God’s Word while the rain soaked into our thirsty lawn and gardens.

I was reading John’s letters. Here is a disciple who walked with Jesus – God incarnate – while He was on the earth. He proudly proclaims he is “the one Jesus loved.” (Can’t we all proclaim that?) John walked with Him, he knew Him well, now he writes with passion about how we can “live deeply in Christ.” How blessed we are to read the words of a close comrade to Christ. If anyone knew how to abide, it would be John.
“Here’s how we can be sure that we know God in the right way,” John says. “Keep his commandments. If someone claims, ‘I know Him well,’ but doesn’t keep His commandments, he’s obviously a liar. His life doesn’t match his words. But the one who keeps God’s words is the person in whom we see God’s mature love. This is the only way to be sure we’re in God. Anyone who claims to be intimate with God ought to live the same kind of life Jesus lived.” (1 John 2 MSG)
John reminds us that our sins are forgiven in Christ, the burden’s been lifted. We need to now walk in the light, as nearly and completely as we can. “Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father,” he says. “The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out – but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity.”

Dear Lord, thank you for preserving the words of John for us. Today I want your words to live deeply in me so that I can live deeply in you. Help me to hold fast to them and follow them. You are light and there is no darkness in you. Light my way so I can walk in your light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment