Saturday, December 9, 2017

Feeding the multitudes x2!

I’ve long been inspired by the Bible stories of Jesus feeding the multitudes (see 2009 post). It greatly impresses me that Jesus can multiply our meager offerings, as long as we are willing to give them. 

This message is so important that Jesus performed this miracle twice

He fed 5,000 with only five loaves and two fish, and on another occasion fed 4,000 with seven loaves and a few fish (Mark 6 and 8, also Matthew).

This is amazing to me that the disciples were present with Jesus to experience the first event, and yet at the second event needed to ask, “Where in this remote place can anyone get enough bread to feed them?”

What short memories! Wasn’t the first miracle enough? Hadn’t they witnessed all the other miracles (healing of bleeding, leprosy, deaf/mute; casting out of demons into pigs; raising the dead girl; walking on water) to realize and remember that Jesus could do anything??

When Jesus and the disciples sailed off to a new region, the Pharisees came and asked for a miraculous sign. What more miraculous sign would they need than the wonders everyone was talking about? Jesus sighed deeply and said no sign would be given because of their unbelief.

Back in the boat crossing to the other side, Jesus reminded His disciples of both loaves and fish events (Mark: 8:17-21), and asked them, “Do you still not see or understand? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear?”

Ugh. I have to admit there are times I have amnesia like His disciples or doubt like the Pharisees. How could I forget for a moment the wonders our Lord has already done? How can I set aside all the accounts of God-interventions I’ve experienced and heard from believers around me?


Dear Lord, I love you and am thrilled by your miracles! I’m sorry for missing the signs you are working around me, even today. Thank you for your infinite patience. Open my eyes that I may see, my ears that I may hear, my mind and heart that I may abide in your goodness and walk in solid faith.

1 comment: