Friday, October 26, 2018

Bathing my brain cells

Harnessing my brain activity can be a difficult thing. If my mind is not slotting tasks or activities into every available moment, it might be mulling over a perplexing situation. If I’m not careful, my concern can soon be turned to anxiety. Sometimes it takes only a spark and fear can flare up.

Whenever these thoughts threaten to hijack my solid pathway of thinking, I work on turning my focus to the Lord, think about His unfailing love and how He is for me and not against me. As I consider those perplexing life circumstances, I also invite the Holy Spirit to bring me wisdom and redirect my thoughts as necessary. I pray for that perfect peace for those whose minds are steadfast and trusting in Him (Is. 26:3) and I work to take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ. (2 Cor. 10:5)

I installed an app on my phone called “Jesus Calling Meditation.” It is written by another author (known only as “DMC”) who also reads the daily devotional “Jesus Calling” by Sarah Young. I’ve become quite fond of this author's reflections on Young’s writings. It feels like great minds getting together and discussing scripture.

DMC wrote, “Thoughts are like a neuro-network of bushes with many branches that produce either positive or negative chemicals that bathe our brain cells. The area of our brain that tends to be more God-aware helps the executive, decision-making region take every thought and transform it to be more constructive.”

What a difference we can make by choosing the positive chemicals versus the negative ones to bathe our brains! To bolster our innovative problem-solving, God has definitely created a concrete means for us to stay connected to Him and all we have to do is actively choose it.

Last night as I lay awake ruminating, I imagined all the fine twigs of my brain reaching to Jesus, touching His cloak to receive healing. I envisioned the love and warmth of positive chemicals flowing through the fine network of neurotransmitters to redirect my thinking and support the health of my brain. I anticipated constructive, hopeful solutions. I once again resolved to trust patiently in His perfect plan.

Jesus is the Vine and we are the branches. When I do what I can to keep those branches healthy, I am more at peace and ultimately more effective in His kingdom.

Thank you, Lord, that in your magnificent design, we can be regenerated, healthy and whole. You thought of everything!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that its our choice to make! We simply choose Him, and He does so much more. Positive focus on Him. Philippians 4:8.

    ReplyDelete