Saturday, January 9, 2010

Do Not Be Anxious

There is a lot of anxiety at work now. Everyone knows there's an elephant in the room, and as we wait for more information on upcoming job cuts, it's impacting each of us a little differently.

I work with fun and intelligent people who inspire me. We love our jobs and it's evident as our best ideas blend and we achieve great results together. It is a melancholy feeling, as I know it soon won't be the same. At least one of us will be missing from that circle.

But I broke out my treasure chest this morning and a storehouse of riches poured out. Though it's certainly not the first time I've read it, Philippians 4 (NIV) was filled with "new" treasures to encourage me:

"Don't be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God..." (v. 6)

I'm in Good Hands. He knows my needs. We've talked a lot about this lately.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding...

It's more than we can wrap our heads around!

will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (v. 7)

What a precious picture it is that the peace is "guarding" my heart... protecting it. Sometimes it's hard to get the same message in my head and my heart, but this peace is complete and encompasses all.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things," verse 8 continues.

I am not to be anxious, worried, focusing on the negative or the "what-ifs." I am to remember that God is a fortress around me and He is in control of all.
I can focus on the work I enjoy and the wonderful people I work with. I remain creative and productive and eager and inspired to give my best fruits.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." (v.13) That's what I need to focus on!


So, that's my story. What's yours? Is there something threatening your peace lately? Let's make a pact to focus on the positives.


"And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (v. 19)

Heavenly Father, I thank you for the vast wealth of encouragement that is found in Your Word. Holy Spirit, You hold the key to unlocking these treasures for all who make the request. I pray today for all to know this great hope. Keep us focused on You and all You have planned for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment